At a high level
An automation consists of four things:
- A trigger, which causes the automation to run.
- A filter, which determines whether the automation should run for the given trigger.
- A timing, which determines when the automation should run.
- An action, which is what the automation actually does.
The universe of what an automation can do will grow over time, but these are the core building blocks from which any possible automation will be composed!
- When a subscriber confirms their subscription
- When a subscriber becomes a paid subscriber
- When a subscriber clicks a link in an email
- When a subscriber responds to a survey
- When a tag is added to a subscriber
- This event happens when a tag is added to an existing subscriber. For folks who subscribe with a tag from the beginning, use "When a subscriber confirms their subscription" and filter to the desired tag.
- When a tag is removed from a subscriber
- Filtering based on the subscriber's tags
- Filtering based on the subscriber's metadata
- Filtering based on a subscriber's type
- Filtering based on URL that a subscriber clicked on (for click triggers)
- Filtering based on a subscriber's survey answer
- Filtering based on a subscriber's paid subscription price
- Filtering based on the subscriber's email address
Right now, there are two possible timings:
- After a delay (e.g. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, etc.)
Right now, there are four possible actions:
- Send an 'ad-hoc' email to the subscriber
- Send an archived email to the subscriber
- Adding a tag to the subscriber
- Removing a tag from the subscriber
- Gifting a paid subscription to the subscriber
- Ungifting a paid subscription from the subscriber
Let's say you want to create a drip sequence for new subscribers to your newsletter:
- You want to send them an email immediately after they subscribe, welcoming them to your newsletter.
- You want to send them an email 1 week after they subscribe, with a link to your favorite blog posts .
- You want to send them an email 1 month after they subscribe, with a link to ask them how they're liking the newsletter.
These would be three separate automations, each with a different timing and action.
Frequently asked questions
What happens if I change the subject or body of an email that's part of an automation?
The email will be updated for all pending subscribers, even if the automation was triggered before the change you made.